   Re: Who will maintain SAX?

  • From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@garshol.priv.no>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 09:53:59 +0200

* David Megginson

| Since SAX is through its initial rapid-development stage, I'm
| inclined to hand it over to an institution rather than to an
| individual.

Personally, I would prefer to see it the other way around.  I would
much prefer a trusted member of the community to any institution I can
think of. An XML-DEV SourceForge project with some trusted member as
leader might be a compromise solution, but of course still requires
that leader to be found.

| I wondered if the Apache Project might not make the best home --
| they're well set up to deal with this sort of thing, and have
| demonstrated a high degree of technical competence.

While their technical competence is indisputable, Tom Passin echoed my
personal concerns about them almost perfectly.

| The alternative is to find someone who can continue to maintain SAX
| through XML-Dev, and who can win the support of enough XML-Devvers
| to make real progress.  I'll be happy to listen to nominations.

David Brownell would be my choice, provided he's willing to do it.

If no individual can be found, I agree that the Apache Foundation is
probably the best organization to do it.

--Lars M.