   RE: It is Pretty Dumb (Was RE: Not so stupid (was re: More StupidXMLArti

  • From: Steve Boyce <SteveB@hbs.com>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 14:58:53 +0100

At the risk of being pretentious:

I think what Dvorak means by "confusing" is actually that he himself is
confused.  And this is clearly the case, because of the way in which he
appears to have almost totally misunderstood every aspect of what the new
standards are about.

I think this is because XML represents a paradigm shift which requires some
mental effort and reorientation to get to grips with.

But to me, the message in concrete terms is:
HTML means if I want to buy a book I type "www.amazon.com" and work through
a load of screens
XML means I type "I want such-and-such book at the best available price
consistent with delivery within 10 days to my home address using a trusted
fulfilment house"

Steve