   RE: More Stupid XML Articles

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Dmitri Pavlenkov <dmitripavlenkov@yahoo.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 13:05:55 -0500

That's pretty much it, Dimitri.  Dvorak
is in the camp that worry about what used
to be referred to as the "balkanization of
the web" and other oddities.  As we
once said, "as soon as you say interactive,
you say program", and it comes with a cost.
XML is there to reduce complexity and cost
and is does that comparatively well.

Actually, the hardest struggle I seem to
be having with some locals is getting them
to accept that in some situations the loosely coupled
thin client is preferred and in others,
tightly coupled fat clients are fine.
These people argue to the extremes of
exceptions as if one legitimate exception
is enough to squelch the idea.   Frankly,
these are folks who don't want one more
thin mint on their fat plate.

We are paid to balance the exceptions
in our designs, and to understand and
explain that it is a balance based on load,
local capabilities, issues of security,
issues of lifecycle, and so on.  Unfortunately,
we end up having to explain the means
instead of the end because we are presented
with alternative means that may not apply.

Telling people that XML is just a syntax
is like telling people they can learn
all they need to know about music by
understanding one note completely.  It
is true, but it turns out, there is a lot
to understand about one note.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.