   Re: More Stupid XML Articles

  • From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 18:31:16 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Dmitri Pavlenkov <dmitripavlenkov@yahoo.com>

> I apologize for quoting the whole thing, but it seems
> author here, while trying to point out disadvantages
> of XML tools, managed to show us their great advantage
> :)

> "Nobody knows what to do about this."
> author is generalizing, I know what to do about this,
> you probably know, too, he should have said: "I don't
> know what to do about this."

It is very easy to find the paragraph containing
"Nobody knows what to do about this".

It is the only paragraph in the entire article.
http://news.excite.com/news/zd/001004/10/killing-the
( I checked ).

Now  *I*  will  *really* quote the paragraph which you
are criticizing and then I will be glad to get any
sound answer from you.

Even I'm not Dvorak ( I know a bit of XML buzzwords better than
Dvorak knows ),  but I almost agree with the point he is making.

<q>
There are no universal vocabularies, so each XML promoter just does things its own way.
"Our way is the best!" The next company over, of course, is doing XML differently. For a
large company that subscribed to the methodology of company A and spent millions of
dollars to do so, it will be frustrating when, for some unknown reason, the company B
approach becomes universal and a true standard. Nobody knows what to do about this. Death
of simplicity.
</q>

Please, tell me what do you mean saying  "I know what to do about this" ?

What exactly do you know ?

Rgds.Paul.

PS. I think those who are saying that "this is like blaming
ASCII" are cheating themselves. I can not explain
where is the cheating, because it is hard to fight with
arguments like this.

PPS. I have been reading Dvorak's articles for a while
( for 10+? years) and I like his way of thinking.
I think he is smart person, frequently making suspicious
statements, but he tries to think. In the current
brainwashed world of IT,  people like Dvorak are rare
and I respect them. I respect Dvorak no matter that
he is making some mistakes. I think those mistakes
are not a big deal to make. Again - Dvorak is not
a developer, but  I think that his generalizations are
better than many other generalizations from W3C lists.