   RE: Deprecating XSLT templates

  • From: Evan Lenz <elenz@xyzfind.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 15:45:48 -0700

Mode changing can be a nice way of commenting out template rules, I agree.

Except that it sounds like he's talking about named templates, not template
rules.  If there's a stylesheet, say, that contains many named templates
that function essentially as subprocedures to be used by importing or
including stylesheets, then it is an API, I guess.  Deprecation implies that
the named template should still work, but should notify the stylesheet
writer that, for now on, you should use a different named template.
<xsl:message> could work, as long as you can ensure that your developers are
using implementations that will always flag the message for them, and also
that the message does not interfere with pre-existing calls to that
template.  If you can satisfy both of these conditions, I suppose it would
be a reasonable solution.

Tim, is there something about it that doesn't satisfy you?

Evan Lenz
elenz@xyzfind.com
http://www.xyzfind.com
XYZFind, the search engine *designed* for XML
Download our free beta software: http://www.xyzfind.com/beta