   Re: More Stupid XML Articles

  • From: John Evdemon <john.evdemon@xmls.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 03:52:38 -0400

On Friday, October 06, 2000 at 2:28, Paul Tchistopolskii wrote :

> Now the 'things' are of course 'back'. They're just called
> 'XML standards' instead of 'proprietary tools'.

The only XML "standards" that I am aware of are the Recommendations issued by the W3C
(none of which are proprietary).

Industry-specific vocabularies are not "standards", although they are usually promoted as such.

Edd Dumbill's recent post summed it up best:

"I'd have been amused to see how this writer would have talked about
ASCII: 'But they're all writing their own sentences, just how they want!
It's all too confusing.' "