   New expat releases and future development plans

  • From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
  • To: XML Developers' List <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 15:10:17 +0700

I am happy to announce that I am handing over future development and
maintenance of expat to a team led by Clark Cooper, hosted on
sourceforge.net.  Clark is working towards an expat 2.0 that adds
several new features, including better support for use as a shared
library under Linux and other Unix variants.  A beta release is
available already. See

   http://expat.sourceforge.net

In the meantime, I have released expat 1.2, which is my final major
production release.  This is very similar to the expat test releases
that have been available for some time.  Relative to 1.1, as well as
fixing a number of bugs, it adds support for parsing external DTDs and
parameter entities.  It is also now available under a more permissive
license (the MIT license rather than the MPL/GPL). See

  http://www.jclark.com/xml/expat.html

James