   Standards and their users

  • From: Miloslav Nic <nicmila@idoox.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 15:09:18 +0200

Recently I have received quite a few mails complaining about standard
understanding and have
seen quite a few more on different mailing lists.

I recommend these two to your attention:

http://lists.zvon.org/l/showmsg.xp?ln=zvon&mid=18
http://lists.zvon.org/l/showmsg.xp?ln=zvon&mid=7

I am afraid that the gap between standards creators and their user
community is widening with startling pace. From the time I have started
Zvon I have spent hundreds of hours studying standards and in my
personal experience it gets more and more difficult to read the next
one.

I would prefer to have 10 standards each of 10-20 pages issued in the
same time with some architecture paper making them connected than
to have 200+ pages trying to cover everything (which is impossible
anyway).

Then I can say to a questioner: read the architecture, than learn and
implement
standard1 and standard5 which you really need and postpone the
imlementation of other parts
to the time
when they are needed. It means more namespaces to write, but than we can
maybe make something like aggregate namespaces saying that this single
namespace covers 10 different substandards with their own namespaces.