   Re: Obfuscating XML with namespaces

  • From: Michael Champion <mike.champion@softwareag-usa.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 09:13:14 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Megginson" <david@megginson.com>
To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 7:29 AM
Subject: re: Obfuscating XML with namespaces

> Now that we've had Namespaces for a long time, pretty-much every
> serious XML tool supports them, and many major applications (XSLT,
> RDF, SOAP, XHTML) use them, it's probably time for the users to pass
> judgement who was right -- strictly as an historical footnote, of
> course, since it's too late to change anything now.

The world can alway vote with its feet and override the votes of any
standards committee.  If the XML family of technologies do indeed prove too
obfuscated for the needs of industry, we can expect "YML" or "ZML" or
whatever to come along and rectify the mistakes that we refuse to face up
to.  We've seen Java get a lot of acceptance by addressing the "mistakes" in
C++, and we see C# trying to address the "mistakes" in Java. We already see
JDOM addressing the "mistakes" of the DOM, RELAX addressing the "mistakes"
of XSD, etc. The marketplace of money and ideas, not the W3C or ISO, will
ultimately decide which specs prevail.