   Re: Obfuscating XML with namespaces

  • From: Jonathan Robie <Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 10:15:14 -0400

Mike Champion wrote:

>The world can alway vote with its feet and override the votes of any
>standards committee.  If the XML family of technologies do indeed prove too
>obfuscated for the needs of industry, we can expect "YML" or "ZML" or
>whatever to come along and rectify the mistakes that we refuse to face up
>to.  We've seen Java get a lot of acceptance by addressing the "mistakes" in
>C++, and we see C# trying to address the "mistakes" in Java. We already see
>JDOM addressing the "mistakes" of the DOM, RELAX addressing the "mistakes"
>of XSD, etc. The marketplace of money and ideas, not the W3C or ISO, will
>ultimately decide which specs prevail.

The marketplace does decide which standards succeed, and the world clearly
should ignore some standards.

On the other hand, the world should also accept some less-than-beautiful
standards if we want interoperability. Since XML is often used as a hub
language, interoperability is key. Suppose part of the market decides to
accept YML, another part sticks with XML, and another part accepts ZML. Add
seven or eight different schema languages, each purported to be the
simplest or the best by some vendor, and a couple of programming languages,
each of which is best. Now shake thoroughly and ask the marketplace to
decide. The result? The marketplace decides it is confused.

So far, the marketplace seems to be accepting the core standards of XML,
including XML, XSLT, DOM, and the non-W3C SAX. On balance, I think the W3C
has done a pretty good job of balancing generality and complexity - though
every single standard I work with has things I don't like, and some things
always seem more complex than I would prefer. Namespaces are part of the
established standards. XSLT in particular supports namespaces and relies on
them, and the W3C has come to a definition of namespaces that people can
live with. This process has taken a couple of years. Do we want the W3C to
spend another couple of years rethinking these decisions? Or do we want to
fragment the market with a set of competing standards? If we want
simplicity and interoperability, I do not think that either of these
approaches are helpful.

I like the idea of another language coming along and correcting the
mistakes of XML the same way Java corrected the mistakes of C++. However, I
think that we may need more time to see what XML is and how it is used over
the next five or ten years before we will really have the knowledge we need
to do it right. We are still learning how to use XML in everyday
information processing. I think that years of using C++, Smalltalk, and
ML-derived languages was a necessary part of the education of the people
who wrote Java. We will need a similar education before we are ready to
invent the next-generation XML. Also, C++ has not exactly died out, and it
continues to be used for quite rational and practical reasons - C++ got a
lot of things right, and is often the best language for writing high-speed
engines.

I'm afraid that we on the standards committees find ourselves making
imperfect decisions based on inadequate knowledge and experience, and these
decisions affect the many people who use these standards. Another way of
saying exactly the same thing: we are doing creative and innovative work in
areas that are not always well-understood, and our work, though imperfect,
is likely to be widely used.

Jonathan