   RE: interoperability (was Re: Obfuscating XML with namespaces)

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>, "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>,xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 12:18:31 -0500

In the CALS era, this was referred to as the
"wedding ring" of a vendor/customer relationship.
Taking it off meant free exchange of information.
Lessons learned:

1.  It is never free.
2.  It may be data, not information.
3.  It is a marriage because it is a binding contract.

Only as procurement gets into the game and officials
understand the role of contracting does the use of
standards get better.

Those who think it can be done without namespaces
and schemas are the ones putting the ring
on their relationships customers.  Lock in happens
because of laissez-faire contracting.  A pre-nup
helps when it gets down to renegotiating.

XML doesn't care.  That is precisely why we
can use it for portable data that enables
interoperation.  It is a bridge across islands
of automation.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com