   RE: interoperability (was Re: Obfuscating XML with namespaces)

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 11:57:22 -0500

Defining interoperability as distinct from portability is
great mind teaser.  I've watched some excellent
efforts bog down in not making these distinctions:

1  Data is portable (XML) Note, I did not say, information is
portable.  Teasing namespace apart from semantic is tough.

2  Systems interoperate (APIs)  Can you encapsulate a system
definition in terms other than interfaces without an implementation?

3  Vocabularies enscribe domains (Languages).  Can you say a
language is portable or interoperable without 1 and 2?  In fact,
is a language ever portable or interoperable?

Is the InfoSet the commmon definitional framework to enable all three of
these?

XML can't fix the nattering need of developers and designers to keep
pushing the edge of any definition into its neighbor's yard, so I never
expect the semantic web to be more than a noisy neighborhood.  On
the other hand, arc systems have been around for years and in
neighborhoods with high fences or lots of empty lots, they work.

Consider density and overlaps as quality properties of the
semantic neighborhood.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com