   Re: need suggestions and help with jclark's XT

  • From: Barton Stanley <barton.stanley@innovision.com>
  • To: "DenBeste, Orion" <Denbeste.Orion@principal.com>,xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 16:33:43 -0500

At 08:51 AM 10/9/00 -0500, DenBeste, Orion wrote:
>Could you give me the correct syntax
>for correctly specifying the parser to use.

One *guess* about how to fix this is below.
If it doesn't work, I'll be happy to work with you
on it off list, but I would also point out that there
are undoubtedly some folks on the XSL-List
( http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/index.html )
that could solve the problem more readily than I can.

Ok, here's my guess.  Move the "-D" option (and its value)
on the java command line so that it *precedes* the "-jar"
option, remove "/opt/jar/xml/xp/xp.jar" altogether, and
remove "com.jclark.xsl.sax.Driver"  That would leave you
with the following command (I've split this into separate
lines for readability)

   /opt/j2sdk1_3_0/bin/java
   -D com.jclark.xsl.sax.parser="."
   -jar /opt/java/xml/xt/xt.jar
   100021.xml
   ratesheettable.xsl

Here's the rationale for this.  When you use the "-jar"
option with java, it will look in the manifest.mf file to
determine which class file to run.  If you look at this
file in xt.jar, you will see that it specifies
"com.jclark.xsl.sax.Driver".  Therefore, you do not
need to specify this on the command line, nor do you
want to because it will be interpreted as an
argument to be passed to "main()".  This is also
true of the "-D" option and its value, which is why I
suggest moving these so that they *precede* the "-jar"
option.  Caveat:  I am not certain that the *value* that
you have for the -D option is correct.  It has been a
while since I played with xt.

You can safely remove "/opt/jar/xml/xp/xp.jar"
because you have "/opt/java/xml/xp" in your classpath.
Caveat:  I am assuming that the directory structure
under "/opt/java/xml/xp" includes the xp ".class" files
(*not* ".java" files).  If there are no class files there, you
will need to change "/opt/java/xml/xp" in your
CLASSPATH to "/opt/java/xml/xp/xp.jar"

>Also if anyone has any suggestions on how to take an XML document, format it
>and save as a .pdf it would be greatly appreciated.

There is something called "FOP", which I believe does
what you describe, but I do not know if it is applicable
for what you are trying to do.  FOP is available at the
Apache web site at
http://xml.apache.org/fop/index.html .  The folks
on the XSL-List can help you with this far more than
I can.

Hope this helps,

Barton Stanley