   RE: Improved writing -- who's going to pay for it?

  • From: "Abel, Scott" <sabel@cincom.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:10:44 -0400

Title: RE: Improved writing -- who's going to pay for it?

I applaud Linda van den Brink's suggestion to utilize tech writers to assist in crafting easily understandable specifications/standards. Far too often, technical communicators are not considered necessary to the success of a project. They are usually brought in AFTER a project or product starts to fail ... or when complaints warrant some type of management action. Unfortunately, at that point, it's usually too late. Writing good documentation for a bad product doesn't make the product better.

Hopefully, the industry will begin to bring technical writers in at the beginning of product development, not after the fact. Doing so will help eliminate many of the problems Linda mentioned.

Scott Abel