   RE: Improved writing -- who's going to pay for it?

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Linda van den Brink <lvdbrink@baan.nl>,"'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:15:03 -0500

Absolutely.

Mad Sparks told me once that the business of
standards was to make money explaining a standard
once it was published.  Ok for then, but these
days, if it isn't clear coming out of the
consortium, it won't get clearer by application.
If the intent is to let implementors debug it,
make sure it stays a draft for a long time.
If a gorilla steps up and says, I need that
finalized to meet my business model, then insist
on them putting up some money for technical
editors under the explicit direction of the
W3C contact.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com