   RE: RELAX to ISO

  • From: Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:01:44 -0400

Title: RE: RELAX to ISO

-----Original Message-----
From: KenNorth
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Sent: 10/11/00 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: RELAX to ISO

>We might be facing an interesting scenario. Some development work in the
>future will be governed by rules that mandate conformance to recognized
>standards (e.g., the US government's HIPAA rules for healthcare
>transactions).

That is an interesting thought! Does XML itself meet the mandate of "recognized standard"?  If so, does that come via its W3C heritage or because it is (as I understand it) now a legal subset of ISO SGML?  If XML is not HIPPA compliant, that would be a wee bit of a problem for the XML industry, I'd guess.

Can anyone shed some light on what the US gummint, in its immense collective wisdom, thinks about the status of XML as a "standard"?