   RE: RELAX to ISO

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: KenNorth <KenNorth@email.msn.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:01:19 -0500

From: KenNorth [mailto:KenNorth@email.msn.com]

>Yes, but I think we're likely to see a much stronger emphasis on standards
>as governments mandate a move to e-commerce -- particularly for doing
>business with the government.

Possibly.  That got PDF a PAS.  Even then, the procurement guys
have the last word.  Four billion on CALS never got MIL-M-28001
on many desktops.  Still, SGML came alive when
CALS mandated it.  It paid for a lot of us to learn it.

>There is ample precedent for an consortium acting as an incubator, but
>periodically submitting specifications to ANSI/ISO. SQL Access Group and
>X/Open were consortia that acted as an SQL incubator, but they submitted
the
>SQL specs to ANSI/ISO (1986, 1989, 1992, 1995).

Yep.  That's how ISO HTML came to be and ISO VRML.  One weird problem with
ISO VRML is for once, ISO time was faster than Internet Time.

>Submitting XML to the ISO would not diminish the W3C's on-going role as an
>XML incubator.

Quite so, and it would probably help the writing. :-)

len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard