   Re: RELAX to ISO

  • From: Robin Cover <robin@isogen.com>
  • To: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:51:25 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Jonathan Borden wrote:

> KenNorth wrote:
>

> > We might be facing an interesting scenario. Some development work in the
> > future will be governed by rules that mandate conformance to recognized
> > standards (e.g., the US government's HIPAA rules for healthcare
> > transactions).

I note that as of today, the UK government is mandating (or at least
urging upon itself) the use of XML and XML-related technologies in an
attempt to reduce bureaucratic waste.  XML is the key element in
the UK's e-GIF (e-Government Interoperability Framework) initiative.
In this case, XML's lack of ISO status didn't appear to me a drawback.
I note also that XML Schemas (not DTDs) are referenced.

See the news item I posted for October 11, 2000 in my SGML/XML news
column:

http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/sgmlnew.html

Best wishes all,

Robin Cover