   Re: RELAX to ISO

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:20:19 -0400 (EDT)

Robin Cover writes:

 > I note that as of today, the UK government is mandating (or at
 > least urging upon itself) the use of XML and XML-related
 > technologies in an attempt to reduce bureaucratic waste.  XML is
 > the key element in the UK's e-GIF (e-Government Interoperability
 > Framework) initiative.  In this case, XML's lack of ISO status
 > didn't appear to me a drawback.  I note also that XML Schemas (not
 > DTDs) are referenced.

That's a good point to keep in mind.  It doesn't make sense to pay too
much attention to official government policies on standards, etc.,
since they are rarely followed if they cause even the slightest
inconvenience (note the Government of Canada's official requirements
for bilingual software).  In the end, ministries and departments will
do whatever works to get their projects out the door.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/