   RE: Improved writing -- who's going to pay for it?

  • From: Linda van den Brink <lvdbrink@baan.nl>
  • To: "'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:24:10 +0200

> I don't really see that implication here.  The problem is
> that implementers
> need a much greater level of nitpicky details than authors
> do, largely due to
> the "be liberal in what you accept and conservative in what you send"
> principle.  They need to know exactly how lots of corner
> cases should be
> handled, cases that very few authors would actually generate,
> and that sort of
> thing requires mind-numbing detail.  A spec that avoids the
> levels of detail
> that are irrelevant to anyone but implementers, and therefore
Yes. Two different audiences. If I could solve this one regardless of time
and budget, I'd decide to
- Write the specification (normative doc) for implementors
- Write an informative document for users
Where the second document is based on the first and starts being written
some time during the draft stage of the first.

Still, both types of documents need involvment of tech writers.