   Re: XML Schemas: Best Practices

  • From: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 07:45:04 -0400

Hi Folks,

I have summarized some of yesterday's discussion on "guidelines for when
to hide/localize namespaces within a schema versus when to expose
namespaces in instance documents".  The summary may be found at:

http://www.xfront.com/SummaryOfHideVersusExpose.html

I think that we have covered the hide/localize versus expose topic
pretty well.  There are many other Best Practices topics that are also
very important! (See http://www.xfront.com/BestPractices.html for a list
of topics.)  I recommend that we move on to some of the other topics -
"guidelines for when to declare an item as an element versus when to
declare it as a type", and the new topic that Paul Spencer introduced
today on characters (which I haven't had a chance to look at).

Thanks for all the great input!  These discussions have been very
fruitful.  /Roger