   Grouping

  • From: cgfield <cgfield@email.msn.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:48:41 -0400

Hello,

I have looked for the answer to this question, that seems like it would be a
common problem, but I cannot find an answer that works.

I have a database that stores a product with a unique ID.  This product can
have several properties.  Thus I will get an xml string that looks like the
following.

<order>
<product>
<id>1</id>
<codetype>COLOR</codetype>
<code>RED</code>
</product>
<product>
<id>1</id>
<codetype>SIZE</codetype>
<code>LARGE</code>
</product>
</order>

Unfortunately, when I transform this, it appears as two products.  I want to
display one product with all of its attributes.

Is there any way to group these nodes so that it is easier to transform with
a stylesheet?  And if I do group them, what is the best way to loop trhough
the nodes in the XSL?

I did try <xsl:variable
but it does not work with MSXML parser.

I would appreciate any insight.  This has been eluding me for some time.

Thanks!
-clint