   RE: standards body parallel

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 14:55:56 -0500

Context is everything.  It is the willingness
of individuals to stay at it that counts.  Not
their education, not their place in their society,
but their vision and understanding, and a talent
for seeing the sensitive point to which all other
points are connected.  That bit understood makes
means obvious.  Once you know how progressions
tend, you can improvise in place.  My tilt is
away from rigidity of means and to individual
skill at offering a flower to the Buddha.

It sounds mystic.  It isn't.  It just works
better in image than long exposition.   Ben Franklin
wasn't offering them tobacco.  He got them
high as kites and when they got too ripped to remember what they
were arguing about, they argued more creatively.  A little
noise, a little laughter, and one guy with a
loaded stash and the willingness of all involved
to stay in a hot smokey stuffy room until the
list was complete.  And to come back if not.

Commit to small actions that address
the point of sensitivity and overwhelm corporate
rhetoric.  A wasp in the eye of the driver takes
out a two ton vehicle doing sixty miles an hour.
A bowl in the hand of the laughing zealot dispels the
heat of the summer's conference.

Not that the W3C works like that.  ISO certainly
doesn't.   Context, you know.... and the skill and
willingness of individuals.  Those are the keys.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h