   RE: Improved writing -- who's going to pay for it?

  • From: "Eve L. Maler" <eve.maler@east.sun.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:40:51 -0400

At 12:48 PM 10/13/00 -0700, Wayne Steele wrote:
>I agree that this is an excellent model for future spec work.
>I would love to see something like this coming out of the W3C.
>You could have:
>
>   /*!-- the actual specs released --*/
>   Spec.xml                 (normative)
>   SpecCommentary.xml       (informative, approved by WG)
>   SpecEditorsNotes.xml     (non-normative, approved only by the Editor)
>
>   /*!-- some standard stylesheets, used by multiple WGs --*/
>   Browser_View.xsl
>   Print_Normative_Only.xsl
>   Print_As_Gloss.xsl
>   Print_As_Footnotes.xsl
>
>   /*!-- Rather short files to point your browser at for different views.
>        Pretty much just identifies the Source Doc, and has a list of
>        Modifying Docs.     --*/
>   View_Spec.html
>   View_Spec+Commentary.html
>   View_Spec+Notes.html
>   View_Spec+Commentary+Notes.html
>
>   It would then be trivial for me to pass around
> "Waynes_private_comments_on_spec.xml" to my friends, who could view it
> the same way.
>
>Tim Bray did pretty close to that about, what, 2.5 years ago?
>And he didn't even have XSLT.

A great idea.  He did it with XLink and XPointer!  Some work is going on
for Amaya (http://www.w3.org/Amaya/) to support annotations expressed in
XLink/XPointer; perhaps that could be a way of doing it.  If/when tools
ultimately support third-party links (links that aren't stored in the same
location as the things linked), such annotations could be created and
viewed by anybody, even without W3C intervention in the publishing process.

         Eve
--
Eve Maler                                          +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    eve.maler @ east.sun.com