   RE: Will XML change the character of W3C? Was: Re: sunshine andstandard

  • From: Sean McGrath <sean@digitome.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:28:32 +0100

At 09:09 AM 10/16/00 -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

>XML is SGML-lite.  XSLT is DSSSL recast.

The former is true in the abstract but not in the concrete
as anyone who has tried to process XML with pre-XML
SGML tools will tell you.

The latter has no basis in fact that I am aware of other
than that they both share the same general approach.
The same could be said of a lot of acronym tuples
(GIF,BMP), (MP3,WAV) etc. I don't think it
helps much.

If anything, XSLT is what you get if you take
the part of DSSSL that was never implemented and
re-engineer it from scratch.

regards,
Sean

http://www.pyxie.org - an Open Source XML Processing library for Python