   RE: Will XML change the character of W3C? Was: Re: sunshine andstandard

  • From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:10:30 -0400

> >XML is SGML-lite.  XSLT is DSSSL recast.
>
> The former is true in the abstract but not in the concrete
> as anyone who has tried to process XML with pre-XML
> SGML tools will tell you.

Depends on the tools. I use SGML-based tools quite
regularly.

> If anything, XSLT is what you get if you take
> the part of DSSSL that was never implemented and
> re-engineer it from scratch.

Perhaps, but I think it can be clearly seen that XSLT
was heavily influenced by DSSSL (Given that James, Anders
and Sharon worked on both, and others in the WG also had
experience with both).

As I have been noting, and David quite nicely put into
words, standards are (or should be!) based on prior art.