   RE: sunshine and standards development

  • From: Matt Sergeant <matt@sergeant.org>
  • To: Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:46:07 +0100 (BST)

> 	I guess by that definition the W3C is not a "standards
> organization", never was, never will be. I think you would be more
> successful looking to the ISO for "real standards" than trying to persuade
> the W3C of the error of its ways.

The W3C produces the recommendations that my business is based on (XML,
XPath, XSLT, etc). I think waiting for the ISO to ratify these standards
isn't what people in my position are looking for. Maybe you've
misunderstood the needs of smaller companies and individuals?

> 	My basic conclusion from reading these threads for the last week or
> so is that there is room in the XML community for wide-open collaboration to
> incubate technologies (IETF or OASIS TC's ???), less open collaboration on
> how to compete in the technology space without imposing undue misery on the
> industry (the W3C?), and a formal process for creating carved-in-stone
> standards (ISO?).  Each of these occupies a useful niche in the ecology of
> the Internet, it's a waste of time to try to get one organization to do it
> all or to force any organization to live by the rules of a different niche.

I don't understand? We're supposed to form our own club because the big
boys don't want everyone else to play with them? You seem to advocate
division, or some sort of separate boys club for incubating certain
standards. This doesn't help me (maybe you're asking why should you help
me?).

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **