   RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?

  • From: "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong@pobox.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:04:44 -0400

At 11:12 AM 10/17/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>     "I still believe that if your going to support a "standard" you support
>this
>"standard" in full.  No exceptions allowed.  Any developer has freedom
>of expression by supporting the "REC".  It's that freedom of expression
>that I wish to keep as open as possible as much as possible. But a
>"standard"
>is a "standard" and we all need to follow it.  Please consider HTML Strict
>for a good example."

This makes so much sense. I wish we could have done this for CSS...then we
wouldn't have to worry about who supports what (or which versions on which
platforms etc.). I'd love for companies that produce User Agents be
required to fully support the standards which many of them help create
instead of them picking and choosing their favorite parts.

I'm sick of hearing "Well, we didn't implement this because it's too hard
and we don't have enough time within our product-to-market schedule."
That's why they call a standard a standard....because no matter what you do
you should at least support the "standard" and then innovate to your
heart's content.

*sigh*
--
B.K. DeLong