   RE: Will XML change the character of W3C?

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Amy Lewis <amyzing@talsever.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:42:55 -0500

From: Amy Lewis [mailto:amyzing@talsever.com]

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 09:09:07AM -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>>Here's the rub: XML Is Not a W3C Success.

>I disagree.  Emphatically.

Noted. I wrote a reply that I just sent to the o-file.  My advice to
you is to study up on SGML Declarations, and investigate the history
of SGML hypertext applications such as EBT's DynaBook, US Army IADS,
and browser tech SoftQuad licensed.  You will discover that many of the
features you consider innovations were already implemented prior to
1996.  XML is a victory for the markup community in that it proves
by demonstration the principles of markup developed over many
years and much effort.  That community is considerably
larger and older than the W3C individuals associated with the development
of HTML and XML, and in many cases, are the same individuals.

len