   Re: Services-based automation (WAS RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C?)

  • From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • To: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 19:11:32 -0400

> I should have said, I want the pizza service to
> get me a pizza, not have the pizza oven looking
> up mozarella to determine it is a type of cheese.
> The oven might want the cheese bringer to know
> that.

"But I ordered a pizza with mushrooms and mozarella cheese and you've
brought me a warm piece of cardboard with anchovies and cheeze whiz. yuch!"

"No sir, that is indeed a pizza with mushrooms and mozarella cheese, it says
to right here."

"But, this brown stringy thing tastes fishy and salty and looks like an
anchovy, not a mushroom... "

"Sir, It says mushroom here on the slip, see..."

Services are bogus unless they operate on an agreed terminology. Just
because we haven't gotten semantics down pat doesn't diminish its
importance. On the other hand  we learn to associate a brand name to an
expected behavior or quality of service. So we need both a terminology or
common vocabulary to describe things, and a way to assign quality of
service. Semantics is necessary to solve the first half of this equation,
but is not sufficient to solve the whole equation. That also doesn't
diminish its importance.

Jonathan Borden
The Open Healthcare Group
http://www.openhealth.org