   Services-based automation (WAS RE: Realistic proposals to the W3C ?)

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: Bill dehOra <wdehora@cromwellmedia.co.uk>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:51:24 -0500

NPR radio ran a satire last night on the evolution
of web sites that do B2B.  I almost lost control
of the car in the cloverleaf because I was laughing
so hard.  They nailed it precisely.  Cluelessness was
a prime theme.

But let's not blow the services-approah off.  That
actually works although it may not be as important
to people whose primary experience is web-surfing.
For organizations that need logistical support for
large systems, this kind of technology is ideal
because they have already defined processes in detail.
It is a good basis for requirements because it is NOT a
metaphor.  The Semantic Web simply tells me that there
is something to be done involving meaning and leaves
the usual suspects to figure that out.  I don't want
to wait for that.

Before people get too far on this, it would be useful
to review XLang and understand how the macro-level
transactions can be designed with the nesting of
the micro transactions.  There is a lot to learn
and understand.  It isn't automatic, but once
set up, it is highly automated.  It absolutely
depends on a solid reliable framework and in fact,
is dangerous without it.

I should have said, I want the pizza service to
get me a pizza, not have the pizza oven looking
up mozarella to determine it is a type of cheese.
The oven might want the cheese bringer to know
that.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com