   Re: XML Schemas: Best Practices

  • From: Sam Hunting <sam_hunting@yahoo.com>
  • To: Caroline Clewlow <cclewlow@eris.dera.gov.uk>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 06:20:48 -0700 (PDT)

[Roger Costello writes]
> One design approach is to mirror the instance document - declare a
> Book element and within it declare a Title element followed by an
> Author element...

My name for this pattern is "Russian Doll".

> That's one end of the design spectrum.  At the other end of the
> design spectrum: we disassemble the above instance document into its
> individual components, define each component, and then assemble them
> together:

My name for this pattern is "Salami Slice."

"Russian Doll" captures the idea of nested containment vividly. Also,
in many cases, there needs to be isomorphism between the containing and
the contained (lists; headings), which this metaphor cpatures as well.

"Salami" slice captures both the dis-assembly process, the resulting
flat look of the schema (or DTD), and implies re-assembly as well (into
a sandwich).

Sam Hunting

=====
<? "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
    -- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations ?>