   RE: RDF, the "semantic web", and the nadir of AI (was RE: Realist icprop

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: cavre@mindspring.com, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:02:47 -0500

<warning>If you are reading this when you should be coding,
you are guilty of defrauding your company.  Shut up and

I don't disagree with your sketch of the interactive web.
But it is interactive now.  Semantic?  I don't think so.
Could use more annotations or meta information?  Sure.

Systems that gather information on the actions of the user
and feed these back into the system to say, generate a user
interface or alter information such as navigation, are tactical,
the so called, Type C production systems.  These are also the
basis for the Class 4 and 5 IETM systems that use pre and
post conditions to choose nodes and diagnose faults.
This is where the web is already at depending on just how hard
a site developer wants to work at it.  For example, the
pornography industry works very hard at it and shares information
extensively.  DoubleClick works.  Whatever your tastes are,
they are busily trying to get new and different content to
satisfy them.  Caveat emptor.

Steve Newcomb has a good comment on such systems:  "Don't
put anything on the web that that you wouldn't want to
see on the front page of the New York Times or have
your minister read to the congregation in the Sunday
morning service."  You must understand policy and apply
it well.  For that reason, the governments of the world
are involved and will increase their involvement in the
web business.  You get to trust elected officials or
company officials or hackers.  Consider the subtext of the
new credit card commercials in which people shopping online
are dropped into a basement hell made up of unshaven stinky
young programmers taunting the shopper about how they are smart
enough to steal and the shopper isn't smart enough to stop them.
The shopper holds up the magic card, and poof, all the stinky
people vanish to replaced by the shining white light of
professional commerce.

You can see the zeitgeist forming. Yes, it is a stereotype,
and yes, it is sticking.

By clickstream mechanics, form-filling, full-text analysis,
annotation and so forth, a great deal of information can
be aggregated and inferences made.  Inferences backed up
with confidence weights etc are all part of the AI legacy
that we understand and yes, are applying to web
systems.  No problem.  A coarse transaction that can be
stored and restored enables this to work just fine.   We
can do all of that. Yet another old tech becomes new again.
That's good.

I've seen semantic network systems, neural networks,
rule-based forward and backward chaining for expert
systems, and the whole bit that was AI before it went
out of vogue.   If someone creates services based on these
and improves capabilities, they may improve the products.
That the entire future of the web will be based on these
is doubtful.  That the future of the successful business
is and will continue to be reliable services with high quality
is not in doubt.  If RDF, topic maps, and XLinks can
increase this reliability and quality, then they will
play a role in that future.  Put all of that in the
context of an n-tier architecture (presentation layer,
workflow layer, business objects, database) and we
can easily talk requirements and get results.

As you say, "once we have the data, we can do anything
with it".  On the other hand, others will do unto you
as well with their data.  The realism of the proposals
to the W3C must be their basis in promoting
not just advanced, but demonstrably useful services.
That may be what TimBL means by "does socially useful
things".  It is meaningful because it means something
to the user.  The word is not the thing, as the linguists tell us.

Be sure your policies promote trust.  The essence is
stable cooperating systems, alliances, not complexity
as a barrier to competition.   Discoverable services
must have clear, simple, reliable interfaces.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h