   Re: Schema at XML namespace URI to change

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson),XML Developers List <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 10:01:42 -0400

At 01:06 PM 10/22/00 +0100, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>This is part of a retrospective cleanup of location of schema
>documents for well-known namespaces, trying to apply the following
>policy:
>
>  There will always be an up-to-date schema document at the namespace
>  URI, which will change when XML Schema changes
>  (e.g. http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace);
>
>  There will always be an _unchanging_ schema document at dated URL
>  under www.w3.org (e.g. http://www.w3.org/2000/04/xml.xsd,
>  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/xml.xsd)

It sounds like the W3C has ignored the protest both here and on xml-uri
regarding the placement of schema documents at W3C-controlled namespace
URIs.  The addition of '.xsd' to the namespace URI is a creative tactic
that I can't say I've seen specified in any formal document.

(I'd have expected to see it at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#schema-loc
The lack of any generally reliable method for determining the schema used
by a document in that section is equally disturbing.)

This approach contributes to the already substantial level of confusion
regarding the use of namespace URIs as identifiers for namespaces or as
identifiers for retrievable resources used to process namespaces. It also
appears to establish 'facts on the ground' regarding the use of namespaces
without the need for a formal W3C process.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML