   Re: Schema at XML namespace URI to change

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson),XML Developers List <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 09:03:41 -0700

At 01:06 PM 22/10/00 +0100, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>In accord with a decision of the XML Schema Working Group, I have just
>changed the XML Schema document at
>http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace.xsd to one using the current XML
>Schema syntax, that is, I have changed it from

I think it's easy to misread what Henry's saying here.  The actual
"xml:" namespace URI is http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#nsc-NSDeclared) if you deref that
you find a helpful human-readable document.  A couple of suggestions:

- that document might also usefully include a pointer *into* XML-names,
  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#nsc-NSDeclared
  where the actual URI is specified, it can be a bit tedious to track
  down by hand.
- it should also have pointers to Henry's .xsd documents (and any other
  available schema-ware; for example the latest rev of the
  language-tagging stuff).

>This is part of a retrospective cleanup of location of schema
>documents for well-known namespaces, trying to apply the following
>policy:
>
>  There will always be an up-to-date schema document at the namespace
>  URI, which will change when XML Schema changes
>  (e.g. http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace);

This seems a bit on the fuzzy side... there's room for argument around
the notion of "well-known"-ness.  Do you mean "all those defined in
W3C recommendations?"  -Tim