   RE: Schema at XML namespace URI to change

  • From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
  • To: XML Developers List <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:51:56 -0700

> Er... I just fetched that with IE5.5, which *does* accept XML,
> and I got the HTML version.  Hmm, have to look at the IE
> accept headers.  I've always had crappy luck with content
> negotiation, but lots of smart people think it's important,
> so I guess the jury's out.

FWIW. I'm not in favor of content negotiation, because it's

  a) unreliable (may be fixed)
  b) non-deterministic

For me, (b) is important because, for example, if you edit a
link into some content (or into an image for that matter),
the link becomes unrelaible in the face of content negotiation.

I'd prefer to use extensions for this particular application.