   Re: Schema at XML namespace URI to change

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: XML Developers List <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 13:06:21 -0400

At 11:59 AM 10/25/00 -0400, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>    The 'problem' with IETF certified MIME types is that each MIME type (or
>group of types) needs to move through the IETF process.

In the case of Schemas, I'd certainly hope this isn't a real problem.
Various W3C folks have participated on ietf-xml-mime, and they do seem to
be aware both of the existence of the registration process and the latest
drafts.

For RELAX, I suspect Murata Makoto will be ready with a registration.  He
is, after, the lead author on the IETF drafts describing XML MIME type
registration.

For Schematron, it starts getting trickier, since its foundation is XSLT.
It has more options, basically.

>A major advantage of
>namespaces is that they are available to anyone who can create a URI. Using
>the DNS system, a registration and resolution mechanism exists today,
>problems and all, and software (e.g. web server) exists that can resolve a
>URI, parameterized by a MIME type via the Accept: header, into a document.

Availability is one thing, supporting infrastructure another.  CC/PP maybe?

>    Alternatives such as Notations and FPIs have been proposed and specified
>but as of today no pervasive infrastructure exists to resolve an FPI into a
>document. So we have a alternative: a system which has problems but
>basically works much of the time, or a theoretically better system which
>hasn't been deployed.

I'm not sure what you're referencing in the last paragraph - maybe it's
just that I haven't seen any of these options widely deployed, though
possibilities exist for all of them.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML