   RE: Who will choose the winner?

  • From: "Hodder, Ed" <Ed.Hodder@Bowne.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:06:34 -0400

Here's my own experience, which is very fresh.

First I went to websites, primarily XML.com. Then I ordered the books and
only afterward really started to look at documentation from W3C. Since I'm
coming fresh to XML the W3C docs are nearly useless. I need much more
background info and fast start help than they can deliver. I've always
looked to W3C for reference material, not educational guides. After reading
through the Schema Primer a little this may not be completely fair, but it's
the way I work.

The other day I was horsing around with Cold Fusion and DOM to display XML
data. I pulled down the W3C DOM level 1 spec but barely touched it, relying
instead on forum postings and some MS documents.

I've had a lot of opportunity to here about RELAX, etc, through the books
and mail lists like this one. The debates help and will heavily influecne my
own decisions.

Ed Hodder