   RE: foo:space instead of xml:space?

  • From: Andrew Layman <andrewl@microsoft.com>
  • To: 'Tim Bray' <tbray@textuality.com>, Mike Brown <mbrown@corp.webb.net>,"'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:10:43 -0700

Tim Bray is certainly right.  :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@textuality.com]
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2000 12:55 PM
To: Mike Brown; 'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'
Subject: Re: foo:space instead of xml:space?

At 12:30 PM 27/10/00 -0600, Mike Brown wrote:

>Should applications only recognize xml:space as xml:space, or would
>it be correct to also recognize foo:space, if the foo prefix is
>bound to 'http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace'?

It might be reasonable for an application to do this, but it
wouldn't be reasonable for an XML data creator to count on this
working, because xml:space is defined in the XML 1.0 spec which
only knows about the magic "xml" prefix, not the namespace-aware
meaning that retroactively layered onto it in the namespace rec.

Andrew Layman actually suggested *forbidding* the tying of that
URI to anything but "xml:" and nearly convinced me that was a
good idea.  He might well have been right. -Tim