   RE: XML for Online Games

  • From: Linda van den Brink <lvdbrink@baan.nl>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 08:51:42 +0100

> I don't think it's actually XML, just something that looks
> like it. After all,
> they point out that:
>
> > Though we're using the basic ideas of XML, we haven't
> poured over the XML
> > specs in ultimate detail. We don't actually need to comply
> to the XML specs.
> > Thus there may well be other things we do in our system
> that's off-spec.

They certainly haven't poured over the XML specs in detail, but what are
they doing that's off-spec? They say the differences are that they don't use
DTDs (which they don't have to), internally they use their own 'schema
language', and they don't declare their namespaces, but do use what looks
like namespace prefixes in the sample on the same page where they make these
statements. Expat parses that sample without errors or warnings.

Linda