   Re: XML for Online Games

  • From: Marcus Carr <mrc@allette.com.au>
  • To: Christopher Allen - Lists <CALists@zocalo.net>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:55:00 +1100

Christopher Allen - Lists wrote:

> A slight departure from typical uses for XML -- there is an article at
> http://www.skotos.net/articles/ called "XML: The Core of the Skotos
> StoryBuilder Server" that discusses how XML is used for the development of a
> text online game.

I don't think it's actually XML, just something that looks like it. After all,
they point out that:

> Though we're using the basic ideas of XML, we haven't poured over the XML
> specs in ultimate detail. We don't actually need to comply to the XML specs.
> Thus there may well be other things we do in our system that's off-spec.

and:

> Though we have used XML as a general model, we haven't stuck rigidly to the
> XML specifications. Instead, we've struck a middle ground which we think is
> ideal for our games. A few notes on how our XML differs from the specs:

Our XML? That's a bit cheeky. They seem very gung-ho about XML - it's odd that
they don't go the final yards. They shouldn't be claiming to use XML - they
really just use pointy tags.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@allette.com.au