   RE: XML for Online Games

  • From: Leigh Dodds <ldodds@ingenta.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 15:28:13 +0000

> BTW:  using XML in games is not that novel.  The
> X3D effort has an XML encoding and can be applied
> to games, there is a talkingHead application that
> uses XML, and extending the persistence of games
> via XML serialization is a straightforward application.
> The latency issues are a much harder problem
> than picking XML for message formats.

I was involved with a Java port of the Quake2 game server for
a while (the project [1] has dried up now).

We ended up using a DOM tree to store the level information,
allowing game modules to manipulate the data prior to
the start of a new level. XML was also used as a means of
persisting game data, and loading game state at start of level.

I also tinkered with an XML structure for capturing the model
animation data.

It was a neat way to add extensibility to the game data. Nothing
flashy but an interesting application to work with never the less.

[1]. http://www.planetquake.com/q2java/

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds, Systems Architect       | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic |    sine necessitate"