   Re: Document Root

  • From: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • To: John Prout <jprout@onepage.com>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 17:01:13 +0800

> John Prout wrote:
>
> Greetings
>
> I was just using the latest version of XSV on the W3C site to validate
> an XML Schema. A warning it reported was :
>
> "No declaration for document root was found, validation was lax"

> Does anyone know what causes this warning ? Is it saying that I need
> to declare the root element for a document in the Schema ? I can't
> find any reference to this in the XML Schemas documents.

No, you do not need to declare what the root element is.  There is no
way to do this in XML Schemas.

(I am not an expert in XSV messages but I expect that) what the message
means is that when XSV tried to validate the element that it found at
the root, it could not locate a declaration for that element in the
schema it is using.

The most likely explanations are

 * you have made a typo in the spelling of the element, for example
uppercase or lowercase, either in the instance or in the schema
 * your namespace URI has not been updated to the latest schema version
(funny error message if that is the case)
 * you did not put a namespace on the schema element at all, and XSV
thinks there is no schema element and barfs.

Do any of these fit?

"Validation was lax" means that the schema processor has tried to do the
best job it can, working through the document and validating any
elements or attributes which are in namespaces that it can find schemas
for.

Rick Jelliffe