   Why not canonical parsers? [Was: Pull-based XML parsers? ]

  • From: Miloslav Nic <nicmila@idoox.com>
  • To: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>,"xml-dev@lists.xml.org" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:18:56 +0100

I am really scared to have XML PDA only, XML Web TV,
Refrigiator XML, ....

But I can imagine that there can be very severe implementation
problems with small devices.

What about this:

If there are some problems just state:

our device requires canonical XML:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xml-c14n-20001026

This Candidate Recommendation says:

The canonical form of an XML document is physical representation of the
document produced by the method described in this specification. The
changes are  summarized in the following list:

The document is encoded in UTF-8
Line breaks normalized to #xA on input, before parsing
Attribute values are normalized, as if by a validating processor
Character and parsed entity references are replaced
CDATA sections are replaced with their character content
The XML declaration and document type declaration (DTD) are removed
Empty elements are converted to start-end tag pairs
Whitespace outside of the document element and within start and end tags
are normalized
All whitespace in character content is retained (excluding characters
removed during linefeed normalization)
Attribute value delimiters are set to double quotes
Special characters in attribute values and character content are
replaced by by character references
Superfluous namespace declarations are removed from each element
Default attributes are added to each element
Lexicographic order is imposed on the namespace declarations and
attributes of each element

So I can use all XML features (as an author) and just before publishing
push it through a "canonicator" if I want to be sure not to have some
problems