   RE: Web services, RDF, and all that

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:48:16 -0600

Great articles, Uche.  More dense than I can absorb at a
sitting but you did a fine job of showing how web service
description can combine with RDF.  I like Services Web
with the Big S but I would. :-)

I wonder how that would all work if Topic Maps were used
instead of RDF.  It might visualize easier and
since clustering is the trick, I wonder if the visualization
based on topic maps would cluster more directly.

I noted the visualization with interest.  I wasn't aware
that Brickley has added VRML output.  I forwarded your
article URL and reference to Brickley's Rudolf to the
VRML lists where some folks might want to pick up the
banner for using XSLT to transform the output into the
new XML-based X3D language.  For 3D visualization to
help, it really should take advantage of the culling
tricks of VRML or X3D and use switching.   There
is lots of experience on the VRML list and perhaps
someone will pick this up.

It would be interesting to hear Tim Bray's take on
the services visualization thread since this seems
to fall squarely into what his company is doing.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard