   opposition to ISO XML?

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:34:45 -0500

So far as I know, no one's attempted to submit XML 1.0 or any version
thereof to ISO, but there has been discussion of such a possibility,
notably at the community meeting at XMLDevCon 2000 earlier this month.

I'm just curious, for the most part, but is there any reason that
submitting XML to ISO in some form would generate opposition?  Tim Bray
asked if people _wanted_ to submit XML to ISO, which didn't get very much
support, but I wonder if there would be opposition to such a move.

There do seem to be a few sectors which might benefit from a more explicit
ISO stamp on XML than the current 'XML is really just SGML'.

There is some precedent with ISO HTML:
http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=82

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML