   RE: XML Schemas: Best Practices

  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • To: "Hodder, Ed" <Ed.Hodder@Bowne.com>,"XML-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:45:50 -0600

On *reflection*, let me answer that another way
with this question:

Do you think the use of XML data is made easier
if a vocabulary processor has a public interface?

I am a bit concerned that this discussion ends up with
the namespace declaration becoming a public signature
for a set of interfaces inherited by namespace scoping
and invoked by some magical XPath invocation
of the prefixes or something.   At that point in design
or development, wouldn't you prefer C# or Java over XML?

I used to think I'd like to program in markup, but
Liam Quin and Dave Durand cured me of the notion and
XSLT came along to remove most of the reasons I thought I
needed to.

"At first glance, implementation inheritance looks and smells like
a cheeseburger, while interface inheritance looks like a bowl of
steamed broccoli. You have to get beyond the desire to have the
cheeseburger to reach a higher level of interface awareness.
The key advantage of interface inheritance over implementation
inheritance is that it is not vulnerable to the tight coupling
that compromises the extensibility of an application."

Ted Pattison - Microsoft (Jan. 1999)

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.