   Re: SAX2 Error Handling

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: "Scerri, Antony (ELSLON)" <antony.scerri@biomednet.com>,xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 11:10:02 +0000

Well, I certainly think that AElfred2 package does it "right",
but I also recall some ambiguity in the SAX spec from ages ago.
At one point, a number of SAX parsers mangled exceptions that
were reported by application handlers.  Some of the conformance
tests I provided last year show some related problems.

My reasoning:  if the application wants an ErrorHandler to be
called, it's in a position to do it directly ... and classify
the SAXException appropriately:  error, warning, or fatal.

But no parser can correctly categorize "caught" exceptions like
that.  So, it handles exceptions thrown by a ContentHandler in
exactly the way it handles ones thrown by an ErrorHandler:
pass them right back to whoever invoked the parse.

- Dave