   RE: escaping characters

  • From: Mike Brown <mbrown@corp.webb.net>
  • To: 'James Gray' <james.gray@buildpoint.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:19:03 -0700

> The parser is giving me a generic error -- nothing specific
> enough to debug.  If the ':' is special, how would I escape
> it?

You wouldn't escape it, if you are using it in the name of an element. If
you are using a namespace-aware parser, you must only use ':' in an element
name as a prefix separator. If the ':' appears in character data, then it's
not the problem.

> Different parsers escape certain characters differently,
> correct?

No, parsers don't escape characters. They provide access to (and/or report
on) the logical contents implied by a physical document. XML is pretty
rigid; there are multiple ways to specify logical characters (e.g., literal
characters in the document's encoding, or markup like character references
and entity references) ...but no matter which method is used, different
parsers will not read the same markup as different logical characters.