   Re: RDF vs. SOAP serialization (oh yeah, and XMI and XTM)

  • From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 15:55:01 -0700 (MST)

> Uche Ogbuji writes:
>
>  > OK, David, so maybe you can help me out here.  Why would any one even
>  > suggest RDF qua RDF as a "general-purpose XML data format"?  What does
>  > this even mean?  Does this mean that if I don't have a schema in mind,
>  > that I wrap my xml in an <rdf:RDF> element and conform to the RDF M&S?
>  > Yikes.  even an RDF booster such as I would scarecely suggest such a
>  > thing.
>
> No, what I mean is that if you need to represent data structures in
> XML, then RDF is a reasonable choice (as is the SOAP serialization
> format).  Consider this Java interface

A ha.  I think I understand where I went off the rails following this
discussion.

We were talking about a semantic web mock-up using data cobbled together
about XML-DEV denizens.  Then after a chain of discussion in which I
might not have been paying attention, Dave Winer asked why we didn't use
SOAP serialization rather than RDF.

Now, I hope we can agree that what we want out of the SW mock-up is hardly
just a bunch of little bundles of rigid OO instances for each XML-DEVver.
If this is all the SW provides, who needs it?

My idea is to build a small hypermedia framework.  There would be
free-form data (POP XML), some with local schematics (namespaces),
unadorned links (XLink), associations (Topic Maps), and a graph model to
tie it together (RDF).

Then on top of that would be the processing.  Transforms and views (XSLT),
on-line services (SOAP) and inference (RIL, OIL, Connolly's rule schema).

I certainly don't think that yet another employee database demo is a rich
enough target to capture the claims of the SW.